Duplicate ad groups
How to duplicate Apple Search Ads Advanced
- Go to the Ad Groups dashboard within your chosen campaign.
- Select the ad group or groups you want to copy. Note that there are ad placement restrictions for ad group duplication. Search results ad groups can only be duplicated to search results campaigns, Today tab ad groups can only be duplicated to Today tab campaigns, and Search tab and product pages ad groups can only be duplicated to Search tab or product pages campaigns.
- If you’re duplicating a search results ad group, choose whether to duplicate keywords, negative keywords, and custom ads.
- Set a start date and end date, if preferred, for your duplicated ad group. Note that start date and/or end dates set at the campaign level will override ad group-level settings if the ad group starts before the campaign or ends after it.
Once the duplication process is complete, the suffix “_copy” will be added to your duplicated ad group’s name. When you duplicate ad groups and keywords within or across campaigns, any applicable audience refinements — such as device location, device type, or demographics — will be copied.
Note that if the combined size of your search results ad groups and keywords exceeds the data limit of 10,000 targeted and negative keywords, you may not see the option to duplicate both settings and keywords. Select fewer ad groups and try again.
Modifications to audience settings may be dropped during the duplication process if they aren’t relevant to the destination campaign. For instance:
If your destination campaign is promoting a different app that doesn’t support the device type specified in the originating ad group.
If the original and destination campaigns are promoting different apps, the “New users” customer type won’t duplicate.
Other settings modifications may be adjusted automatically during the duplication process to fit your destination campaign. For instance, if the original and destination campaigns are promoting different apps, the “Returning users” customer type may become “Users of my other apps.”
When duplicating search results ad groups, your original bid amount for each keyword is also copied. If you choose to duplicate settings and keywords, some keywords may be skipped because the bid amount isn’t valid in the destination ad group for a different campaign. Your keyword bid amount must be less than the destination campaign’s daily budget.
For all ad placements, ad group duplication may be aborted if the number of selected ad groups and existing ad groups in the destination campaign exceeds the limit of 2000 ad groups per campaign.
If you’re experiencing issues when trying to duplicate search results ad groups
There are a few reasons why search results ad group duplication may fail:
Your destination campaign or ad group would exceed the keyword or negative keyword limit.
More than 200 unique items were skipped during the duplication process. These items may include invalid keywords and settings.
Ad group keywords, ad group negative keywords, and campaign negative keywords are skipped during the duplication process because:
Your keywords and match type already exist in the destination ad group.
Your bid amount for that keyword isn’t valid in the new campaign. If your keyword bid amount is higher than your daily budget in the destination campaign, your keyword won’t duplicate. Adjust your daily budget or bid amount, and try again.
Your negative keyword text and match type already exist in the destination campaign or ad group.
There’s already an ad group with the same name and suffix in the destination campaign.
Ad variations are skipped during duplication because:
- The destination campaign uses a different app, different countries and regions, or different devices.